Sunday 15 November 2009

Midtfyns Bryghus Imperial Stout and Double IPA

I picked this pair up while in Amsterdam a couple of months ago (how time flies!) on the recommendation of TheBeerNut, I think. There was so much choice I may have just randomly grabbed at things in sheer panic. I know that there was a few things I forgot to look for, but there's always something else... Anyway, I haven't tried near enough beers from Denmark, and those I have tried I've really enjoyed - apart from the Apollo stuff.

Midtfyns Bryghus Imperial Stout pours completely opaque, just about showing creosote-like highlights around the edges. The aroma is laden with thick chocolate, coffee and a slightly phenolic/iodine-like note, with a big vanilla toffee hit bringing up the rear. Really rich. It feels surprisingly light on the first sip, but it plays a medley of sweet (think big malt), then fruity (dark cherries) flavours before leaving you with a long-lasting roasty (coffee and a bit of oak) and bitter chocolate cut with an almost liqueur-like alcohol warmth (amaretto?) and a hint of pithy bitterness. The finish is long and dry , despite the apparent sweetness, and it's real smooth. At 9.5% ABV and with those big flavours, it's a great nightcap on a cool autumn evening.

As is the Midtfyns Bryghus Double IPA, although it's a mere 9.2% ABV. A slightly hazy red-hued amber, this literally projects an aroma. I could smell it clearly while pouring. Big American hops, chewy caramel loaded with massive orange pith and summer berries. And the flavour... A wonderful balance of sweet toffee flavours with bold hops, definitely classic C-hops in there, pushing in grapefruit and a pithy citric character, and a hint of pine-like resin to the finish. But despite the pretty obvious generosity on the hop additions, it's not massively bitter. THe balance is near perfect. I have to admit I expected something with a massive, mouth-puckering bitterness, but this is just massive on hop flavours, making it eminently sinkable, even at 9.2%. The amount of hops eventually leaves a lasting tingle, and the malts coat the lips with an agreeable sweetness. Very nicely done.

3 comments:

Reuben Gray - TaleOfAle said...

I have not had nearly enough Danish beer either... in fact I may not have ever had any. I will have to keep an eye out.

Barry M said...

I'm not sure what's available in Ireland on a regular basis. For me it definitely means trips to Copenhagen or next door to get some. Not counting Carlsberg of course...

Darcy Rodger said...

In my fridge right now: a bottle of albarino, one of red burgundy, and several of Bell’s Oberon and Dogfish Head beers. No reports of a food fight.


Darcy