Wednesday 30 September 2009

BrewDog Rake Raspberry

Knut's recent post prompted my to write up my own notes as I knocked back a BrewDog Rake Raspberry last Sunday night. While placing an e-mail order with them, they'd told me there were a few Rakes still around, so why not? You can read what the BrewDog guys say about it all here. Enough said!

It's dark, dense, and quite highly carbonated. This lifts out light phenolic notes; peaty, with a touch of TCP, but with a definite fruitiness overlaying it all.

On first sip, it's odd. While held in the mouth it's all sweetness and light, with a soft, pillowy feeling from all that carbonation, and a lovely, slightly tart, fresh berry smack. However, once you swallow, the interplay between the peaty notes and the tart freshness of the raspberries really make you wonder what the hell is going on! It's sweet, smoky, very strange, but very enjoyable, and does not feel like 10% alcohol at all! It finishes quite dry, leaving behind a touch of raspberry tartness combined with vaguely vanilla-tinted, peat background. In the end though, the peat wins.

I've two bottles left to spring on some unsuspecting Germans...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Rake Raspberry is definitely the most unique beer I've tried (so far) this year. As you say, very interesting contrasts between the tartness of the raspberries and the smokiness (saltiness?) of the whisky casks. Good stuff!

Knut Albert said...

I'd drink it myself instead of exposing the Germans to it!

Barry M said...

Definitely makes you sit up and think about what you have in your glass, Darren!

Knut, I was thinking the same, but it would be in keeping with my secondary mission to experiment on the Germans, and try to broaden their tastes :D (or market research in case I ever realise my dream ;))

Dave said...

The guys over at BeerTapTV.com just turned me on to the beers from BrewDog. The Rake Raspberry sounds unique. I'm a fan of sour and tart beers and will have to look this one up. Thanks for the tip.

Barry M said...

Correction on my last note: I have one bottle left...