Monday 4 May 2009

BrewDog Atlantic IPA

Those fine gentlemen over at BrewDog kindly sent me a mixed box of beer last week, and although I had thought to do a tasting session with my German colleagues, the bottles are too small. That's my excuse and I'm bloody well sticking to it! One of the bottles they sent had no label, so when I asked James what it was, he simply replied "The unmarked bottle is Atlantic IPA". Ah! The one that was matured in oak casks on a fishing trawler for two months during a makerel fishing season to simulate the maturation process an IPA would have received a couple of hundred years ago. Ok, that one. Hmmm... What to do? Drink it of course!

Brewdog Atlantic IPA is a rich, orange-tinted amber with a full, fluffy head, the aroma has a wonderful blend of slightly overdone toast spread with orange marmalade and vanilla. I have to say, on taking a mouthful, the mouthfeel was what first struck me. It's got a lovely soft, full body, feeling almost oily going down. The first flavours fizzle like sorbet, washing the mouth with an orange-ginger-like spiciness, a balanced sweetness and a rounded bitterness that for some reason reminded me of the bitterest Seville orange marmalade on toast. I love that stuff.

This has a warming, earthy finish, with the bitter orange, vanilla and slightly toasty notes lingering a long time, backed by a gentle biscuity sweetness. There's a subtle, tannic, woody undertone, and the whole thing blends into a big, juicy, moreish flavour that begs to be gulped down.

I don't know exactly how strong this is (no label, but some references on the web suggest 8%), but it's disgustingly easy to drink. Why disgusting? I only had one bottle and it disappeared sharpish. I could very happily drink this all night. Loved it.

It's a shame there no label, as it's a wonderful piece of art. But then my wife found the BrewDog labels are impossible to remove (and she's had practice!).

Strangely, it's not the first Atlantic IPA I've ever had, although it's a very different beast to the one from Brewpub København.

11 comments:

Mark Dredge said...

This sounds so good!! I can't wait until they release it. It's meant to be their 2nd anniversary beer and I think their anniversary is April so it's due very soon.

Bring on the Atlantic IPA (to go with all the other beers whcih are slowly making me a much poorer - yet happier - chap)!

Reuben Gray - TaleOfAle said...

I want some

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering...

A tip for removing labels - get some oxi clean or any of the copies. You know, the oxygen powdered cleaning stuff you get next to the laundry powder. Put a scoop in some water, soak the bottles for a few minutes and the labels come right off. I wish I'd known about this stuff years ago.

Barry M said...

Interesting tip Anon, and I have just the stuff (use it for cleaning gunk off my homebrew gear now and then).

The German labels almost come off if you look at them the wrong way, probably because they reuse the bottles so much.

Mark, it's hard to believe it's only their second anniversary!

Saruman, I want more! :D

Lost said...

Lucky you getting beer donated. My lousy state here in the US won't let anyone ship beer to you. BOO!

-Lost

Barry M said...

It's weird. I had problems trying to post some beer from California to Chicago. I ended up saying they were liquid malt extract samples.

mdagnew said...

To remove Brewdog labels you need to fill the bottles with boiling water - this softens the glue and the labels peel off easily. Soaking doesn't do any good for these ones..

It's probably a bit sad that i know that...

Leigh said...

yeah, am looking for this one all the time. You seemed to enjoy it!i am guilty of suffering from BD-overload at times though...I'll make this one my next.

Barry M said...

I've a few more to post up, and also to drink. And here's me trying to stay off the beer for a couple of days! Stop reminding me of lovely beer! :D

derek said...

best art work i have seen on a bottle. it makes the beer even more disappointing. the flavors were so muted and i spent $50 for two bottles. it is one of those beers you have to try though.

Barry M said...

Hi Derek,

I've heard mixed reviews of this beer. I really enjoyed it (as you read) but others have commented that their bottles tasted oxidised and such. I was wondering if it was a bottling issue, or different casks or what. That's a damn shame that you paid so much and didn't get what you expected. :(